Thursday, December 08, 2005

Breathe


The other evening Gabriel kicked and screamed on our hardwood floor, frustrated because his Thomas the Tank underpants had gotten twisted when he tried to put them on.

I tried speakly in a gentle, cajoling voice to calm him.

I tried reasoning with him.

I held up the underpants.

You can try to put them on again, baby.

Nothing worked.

Apparently I didn't understand the gravity of the situation.

Gabriel kicked and kicked, and screamed, and screamed.

Finally, in exasperation, I said, "Gabriel, breathe! Just breathe if you're frustrated!" and I took a deep breath, showing him what I meant.

Suddenly, the room quieted. I heard a rasping breath as he filled his little lungs with air.

"I breathed, Mommy!"

I was amazed. Recently, I have been trying to meditate as a way to reduce stress, imagining a lotus flower opening with the in-breath, and closing with the out-breath. But I never imagined that at two, a kid could start focusing on his breath to reduce anxiety. The child-mind of Zen held a whole new meaning.

The next morning, I drove Gabriel to his daycare. It had taken two hours just to get out of the house. I was late to work, and stressed out. I opened the car door and unbuckled Gabriel from his car seat, and he climbed out into the parking lot. Then I opened the front door and he grabbed a plastic bag that his lunch was in and immediately dumped out a cheese stick, an orange, and a hummus sandwich.

"Rrrrghhh!" I growled.

"Mommy," said Gabriel, looking at me as if I were a child.

"You have to breathe!"

1 Comments:

Blogger Work in Progress said...

No way! That kid learns faster than a computer!

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home